For Today, Sunday, August 01, 2010
Outside my window...
The sun is shining and the temperature is not nearly as humid or hot as it has been last few weeks I have sat (I almost wrote "have sitten"… I don't even think that is a word!) down to write. The temperature is a lovely 84 degrees and the cicadas are outsides humming away. I like to hear them, but I highly dislike finding them on a bench I am about to sit on or in the grass where I am about the take my next step. "Huge bugs they are!"
I am thinking...
About my family far away. I had the wonderful privilege of talking to my Aunt on the phone for several minutes today. Isn't it so nice to talk to someone who seems to have always known you? I remember that same feeling when my grandparents passed too, that feeling that someone who has always known me and those memories of my life are missing. But as this same Aunt and Uncle inspired me to think: Don't cry because it is gone, smile because it happened. And the more time goes by from me, and now as I frequently fold a shirt of Isaac's for the last time, or find some other memento that has served its purpose and is to put away or given away, I do smile instead of regretting that time is over. It has been good, each moment I am blessed with, because God has been good, He IS good. We look forward to what is ahead. And I am thinking of my brother. Funny how you think of someone even more when you know you cannot easily get in touch with them as you once would have.
I am thankful for...
A wonderful husband who is so tender and supportive through all the ups and downs of pregnancy!
From the kitchen...
Comes the remaining yummy aroma of roast with potatoes and carrots. I love the smell of Sunday dinners when we walk in from church. Yea for the crock-pot and a timer on the plug and outlet that make it work so well for us. Even a train that made us wait over fifteen minutes today couldn't make me worry… I knew things had already switched off and weren't awaiting my arrival lest they burn!!
I am reading...
Beyond Ourselves by Catherine Marshall.
(I thought I had read all her books until I picked this one off the shelf last week. How long has it been sitting there unread??)
Most impressionable moment from it this week:
"…the Christian life must be lived in the will, not in the emotions; that God regards the choices decisions and choices of a man's will as the decisions and choices of the man himself—no matter how contrary his emotions may be. Moreover, when this principle is applied, the emotions must always capitulate to the will. I don't 'feel' God's presence today' we wail. What is the remedy? It is simplicity itself: Our emotions are not the real us. The motivating force at the center of our physical being is our will."
I am hoping...
We have wonderful weather for our two days off together as a family. We are looking forward to two days up in Wisconsin, enjoying a little family vacation before we fall into what appears to be an extremely busy Autumn schedule!!
I am creating...
(Don't laugh…) An Advent Calendar. Yes, this is for Christmas. "Christmas in July" (except now it's August). I have finished all our family devotions for the Jesse Tree and have chosen some activities for us to do every day during the holiday season. The reason I am doing this now is that if my first trimester symptoms return the third trimester, I will feel like doing nothing which will really frustrate me because I adore the Fall and Christmas. So I am getting ready for it now, especially since we do not know when Baby will be officially coming and how. So now there is something for Isaac to always do every day whether I am in the hospital or feeling unmotivated, fat, and overtired at home. I was telling Stephen I actually like this planning (because it's almost done) and feel like I will enjoy the holiday instead of doing all this DURING the time of celebration. It will all be done and I can actually BE! So don't send me your wish list… yes, it's already been bought. Even down to the wrapping paper and bows.
I am hearing...
The hum of Isaac's baby monitor while he takes a nap since I cannot hear back in his room while the air conditioning is on!
Around the house...
Are several little boy toys. A well built track that is waiting for its Engineer to return and a truck load of animals waiting to be unloaded again into the barn. What a relief that girl themed toys will not have to be added to our collection (nothing against girl things at all, just one more thing that's "easy" this time around).
One of my favorite things...
Sunday afternoon coffee. Thinking ahead for the week. Reflecting on the past. Rediscovering how much I enjoy writing letters!
Writing every week has developed in me this realization that… things pass. As I go through a new phase with Isaac (spitting, kicking, whatever) I have gained an amazing perspective that made me realize we are always in the process of development… so work hard at growing… and that nothing (whether annoying, bad or adoringly good and comfortable) comes to stay for always.
A few plans for the rest of the week…
-Go on vacation!\
-(Still) wait for the new Ladies' Bible Study material to come (they had to make a new recording for us)
-Start organizing the unorganized baby stuff that was quickly packed a year ago when we moved
No comments:
Post a Comment